Tuesday, October 7, 2008

10/7/08

Well, it has taken me forever to respond because this internet connection is so slow. I am responding to both of you so I can write more. This week has been interesting. As my companion and I were walking on Tuesday we both just stopped all of the sudden and looked at this house that we always walk by. We went up and contacted it and the man was so ready to hear the message. He was asking questions that led us to the next part of the discussion. It was nice to see a Ghanian who realizes that all of these pastors are just taking money from people.

Wednesday I had my first Shocker moment. We were preparing to teach a man and we needed to know how to explain why we need the Book of Mormon. I came to the conclusion that we don't and I was really troubled. Everyone in the apartment got in on the discussion and it went until I decided to call President Sabey. We talked on the phone for an hour and he explained that what we need is a living prophet who holds the priesthood. The BofM is a way that we grow closer to God and it is proof that Joseph Smith is a prophet. It really hit me hard and I feel more determined to teach.

Right now I am waiting for a malaria test. Great, I know. It is really hard to teach right now because the 3 new investigators that we got who were all really progressing are moving away. We have a baptism this weekend. A girl and her 2 brothers. Soon we want her whole family. We gave a blessing to a two year old boy who is scared of white men. That was exciting. He screamed the whole time. I really wanted to laugh. We are teaching two Jehova Witnesses and I hate them both. Well, don't hate, but they are annoying. They know the scriptures like the back of their hand. I can go with them, but they are so stubborn that it doesn't do any good. I just need to be more patient.

Transfers are this week so I find out tomorrow night if I will be transferred. Hope not, I like being with big wood. We are hoping we'll be together for 3 transfers cus then we would get all the major holidays in that 3rd transfer. We don't get to see conference for another two weeks. Don't worry about sending me the ensign, I get one every month. I am really excited to see it. Our power went out the other day for the whole night so that was fun. Candle light is awesome. We got bored Saturday night after we ate so we got 30 bags of water and had a water fight in the apartment. It was awesome. Until I realized my stomach really hurt and I might have malaria. Tell Kristin good luck and keep up the good work. I hope she kicks the crap out of Highland.

That is cool that you had the missionaries over. It helps them out more than you think. I love getting F.M.'s (free meals). I am taking pictures of our apartment to send home. I want to ship it out in 2 or 3 weeks. Talk to Wood's mom if she gets pictures cus a lot of the time we just use his camera. I love the beef Jerky. Can't wait to get the next package. If anyone does right I won't get it for a month at least. I will right back as soon as I can though. I miss family guy.

Our water goes out every now and then but we have a pump when that happens. All our baptisms are at our chapel. I hear Isobelle has started cheer leading. That is scary. Oh, and when I get home, the 49ers are going to be the best team in the league. They just need to dump Alex Smith and get a good QB. Good to hear that Marc is doing well in classes.

Love to hear from you all. No Erin, it is not going by fast for me. It feels like 3 months and I am barely at 2. They say once you hit 3 it goes. I hope so. I just need to bury myself in the work. If you go to any NBA games that would be awesome.

I CAN COOK GHANIAN FOOD! We made garden egg stew, kontombre stew, fufu, banquo, man. We even made a killer tomato stew. I can't wait to cook for you all when I get home. YOu will probably hate the food but thats all good. I am hoping to get some more letters from friends at zone conference on Monday. That would be sweet. I am going to take a 1000 pictures and send them home soon.

Love to hear from you all! take care and I love you,
Elder Halling

p.s. hopefully I will be able to bear my testimony in fluent Twi when I call at
Christmas
. Muhahaha.
p.p.s. let everyone read this, I have a short time to go get my Malaria test.

No comments: