Tuesday, September 16, 2008

September 1, 2008

I am settled into my apartment and have been working for the past 3 days. I realize now that two years isn't going to go fast, but looking back on it will be crazy. It hit me while I was walking around with my companion. This is the first tine I have felt home sick in a long time. The work is great though. We are teaching so many people. We taught a man name Godfree and he committed to be baptized. That a a trip because I asked him and we will be doing it in two weeks. Other than that we are hoping to find some new investigators.

One woman named Dorothy said she would come to our church if we went to hers so we called the mission president and he said ok. We went and it was a trip. They were going psycho and stated speaking in tongues. Not exactly what I am used to. Not many people do it so it was a good experience. My companion is awesome. Elder Woodhouse from Colorado. We talk mess about each others states. The bed is comfortable and I am used to getting 8 hours of sleep. All of the kids here chase us and call us Bruni's which means white person. A lot call us Bruni Tintin which is tall white person. So we call them bibini and they laugh. The language is hard but I am trying to learn. I want to have my testimony memorized within two weeks.

Getting used to spending almost no money is a trip. They don't give us much. We go shopping today so we had no food this weekend. I have two firsts. Lunch yesterday was rice with peanut butter and jelly, and dinner was rice with syrup. We didn't eat breakfast. I am going to get a bunch of eggs when we go to the market. The market is crazy, there are so many shops and people. I need to start taking more pictures. I will probably send pictures home in a month or two. We haven't had much of an opportunity to thus far.

Dad is right, I am getting soft. It is in the 80s but is humid. But remember, these are their 'winter' months. IT starts to heat up in the next couple of months. Like I said, I read true to the faith. I am now 3 chapters into Our Search for Happiness. Not too mention I am reading the Book of Mormon again. In two days worth of personal study I have gotten 1/3 of the way through 3rd Nephi. I know, I started in the middle, but I am focusing on what the Lord did in his visit to the Americas, since he didn't have much tine, and what he taught in the Bible after he said his time is near. It is amazing what he does and says then realizing how similar and important they are. I am learning so much and when I teach, I feel so good because the spirit helps me to remember every thing I study. It did take me a couple lessons to get into it, but now I am contributing about half the lesson, asking commitments, and using scriptures. It feels so good.

I had fufu again a few nights ago at an investigators house. They made us Jolof rice the night before. I can't eat that much but it is good. When they eat fish they eat the whole fist. Even the mouth and face. Ahhh yea. I had fried chicken and they chastised me since I didn't eat the bone, so I ate it! It's not bad. It won't take long till I am used to the food and all.

Tell everyone I love them and give the family my email address so I can write then and visa versa. Just know I love you all and keep thinking about you constantly. I know I am doing the Lords work but it is so hard to not think about the whole family. Please take a picture with everyone at Christmas and send them to me. I only have a picture of Cali which is funny to look at and think about what she is going to look like. I realize after I wrote my last email that I still have another week from today until I am one month. This seems to go so slow. It kills me not to talk to all of you everyday,. Just know I love you and I pray for all every night. I hope everything goes well for all of you.

Can't wait to here from all of you next Monday (seems so far away). Elder Halling

No comments: